Homemade Fish Pie
Recipe: Serves 4
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 1/2 a courgette diced
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 150g frozen peas
- 6 medium sized potatoes peeled
- Olive oil
- 250 g mixed seafood
- 180 g prawns
- 150ml milk
- White Sauce:
- 75g butter
- 75g flour
- 200ml milk
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 1 tsp of dijon mustard
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees celsius.
- Prep all your veg including peeling your potatoes.
- While you make your fish base mix , you can have your potatoes boiling also for mashing.
- Heat your olive oil in a saucepan and fry off your onion and garlic.
- Then poach your seafood mix only (not your prawns) in 150ml of milk.
- Allow cook for 5-8 minutes and then strain through a sieve – make sure to reserve your cooking liquid as you will use this then for your sauce.
- Then, add your carrots and courgette to your saucepan and fry gently . Season also with salt and pepper.
- Next. make your sauce – melt your butter in a separate saucepan and once melted add your flour and whisk to combine.
- Using the reserved poaching liquid add this to your roux and whisk until you have a nice thick sauce – you may need an extra bit of milk depending on how you like the consistency.
- Add the chopped parsley ,dijon mustard and seasoning.
- Put your mixed fish, prawns, peas and sauce into your veg mix and allow to gently boil over a low heat to allow prawns to cook.
- Your potatoes should be ready now for mashing – I always mash first and then add a knob of butter and a splash of milk as it will give you a smoother mash.
- Now, its time for assembly – Pour your fish mix into a ceramic dish , and then spoon your mash on top.
- You can then bake at 170 degrees for 25- 30 mins until it is bubbling and browned. Enjoy, Delicious served with side salad.